March 31, 2006

witnessing....

Something I have been thinking on lately is witnessing. In church a few weeks ago we heard about this little old man in Australia who handed out tracts to people. The story told about all the people who came to God because of this man's faithful witness. I loved hearing this story. Then the other day I was talking to a lady I've known for many years and told her the story. She liked it, and told me about how she had done something similar last summer. But there was one major difference in the two stories. The lady told me that she had gone up to a couple and asked "if they died tomorrow, would they go to heaven?" Then she asked if they wanted to pray to ask Jesus into their hearts. With the little old man, on the other hand he came up to people, handed them a tract, and asked "if they died tomorrow, would you go to heaven?" and he left it at that. It was after that that the people he had talked to went and sought out someone to talk to, someone who could explain the scriptures to them, and then finally, they personally asked Jesus into their hearts. Do you see the difference? Now I'm not trying to make the lady seem like a bad person or anything, but I really don't hold to her approach. I do doubt if the people she talked to really had asked Jesus into their hearts. What reason would they have? Now, I don't like coming to conclusions, but it seems likely to me that they simple 'prayed' to appease her, and maybe as an 'insurance policy'. Now in the other case, the people had time to think, study, search their hearts, and realize that they need Jesus, that without Him they are doomed.

No comments: