March 14, 2006

learning about beliefs

Well, work has been going really well so far, excepting that I need to get a different pair of shoes for work (We're supposed to wear black shoes, and the only black ones I have right now aren't in very good condition, and make my feet hurt). It really fun "playing" with all the shoes, and learning how to identify them by their numbers and such. On tuesday the freight comes in, so we had to clean out the shoes (take out the paper that they wrap the shoes in and such) and then put them out and organize the ones already out and make sure we have all the sizes of each type and all that fun stuff. The times really seems to fly by, and there's soo much to do. I work again on sunday morning before church, only for about an hour and a half (the 'manager' wants me to know how to do something that they do on sundays... I'm not sure why, since I can't work a sunday shift, but oh well...).

In other news, after a rather difficult weekend with my family, I have decided to start a more in depth study of catholic beliefs and such, so that I can be more equiped when conversing with my relatives, as well as be able to understand where they are coming from. I have picked up a book from the church bookstore that has some basics on Catholic beliefs and how they differ from what the Bible actually says, and I find it very interesting. My aunt Kathy (A strong Christian, as well as a catholic) is going to see if she can find me some info as well. This is going to be a big project, and I just pray that God is with me through it all, and that He leads me to what I need to know, and that I don't get bogged down in legalism and all that junk that doesn't really matter. How better to reach out to someone then to know of the culture in which they were raised? To be able to really understand where the beliefs come from, and to be able to use some of those very beliefs to lead them to the truth. As I've heard in many places in the past year, the biggest mission field today is within the very "church" (of any denomination).

To go along with this, I also need to have a fuller understanding of my own beliefs, and to act on those beliefs, for it doesn't matter what you are saying to someone if your actions are saying the opposite. For too many years I just floated along and believed whatever people told me to believe, without really understanding it for myself. I don't want to do that anymore. I want God's guidance and wisdom to lead me, I want the Holy Spirit to truly be in control. To hold God's Word within my heart, and not just in my head. ANd to reach out to others with the wonder of God's mercy and grace. What greater call for a persons life then service to the Creator of the universe?

No comments: