March 31, 2006

"Captivating"

Yesterday my mom gave me a book. It is one that the ladies in her church are reading. It's called "Captivating", and it's about being a woman and such. When she first told me about the book, a was a bit, well, on my guard, so to speak. I read the first chapter. My first thoughts were that it was kinda interesting, but it seemed a little bit off. Then I started reading the first chapter over again. I realized what had bugged me the first time through. It's "self centered". It talks some about how God created women to be different then men, but really, it seemed to be trying, even encouraging, women to think even more about themselves, and how wonderful they are. It also says how the women we look up to in church are always tired from working so hard. I had to put the book down. It just left a bad taste in my mouth. Now, I know that God made women different then men, made us to serve a special purpose as women. What really makes me disgusted about this book is that we as women, and humans in general, already think about ourselves far too much. And I don't see the women I look up to as being overworked and tired as is described in the book. I see them as joyful and wonderfully blessed women, who put others before themselves. Women who aren't trying to be shining examples of womanhood, but women who are trying to follow God's will for their lives, who put aside themselves and strive after God. Their lives change because their heart has changed. Following God is what's truly important. He will take care of the rest. I'm not saying that the women I look up to are perfect, but that their heart is in the right place. That's what I want to be, a woman after God's own heart.

1 comment:

patrickjnielsen said...

make me think of "the purpose drivin life". books that are suppose to bring us closer to God but only put something between God and us and pull us away from are body. cool blog...