February 13, 2006

healthy living

In the past couple weeks I've come to a decision. I need to work out and eat healthier. I get a good workout each week walking around on campus putting up posters and filling WOTS racks, while carrying a backpack full of WOTS. I've been trying to eat salads and other healthy foods, and stay away from caffiene (for more then one reason) and other such stuff. I've never really liked the idea of "dieting". For years my mom has going from one form of dieting to another. As far back as I can remember she's tried and then stopped each new plan out there. I don't want to get into something like that. I want this to be truely a change of lifestyle, and not a passing fad. We have a workout bike here at home that most often has been sitting in a corner collecting dust. The other day I decided to move it into my room and use it (putting it in my room means I can use it when other people are sleeping). I used to ride bike all the time, it was my primary way of getting around. I realized that I'm really out of shape now. So I'm going to try and ride at least 15 to 20 miles a day. Riding also gives me a time to clear my mind and pray, to meditate on God's word, and to relax (even if that does sound strange). I think best when my body is moving, and so I used to go walking often. Now I've come to realize that mostly when I go walking I start daydreaming and that leads me down a path I don't want to follow again. So, now I ride the bike. I only pray that I can continue as I have started. The main part of my workout routine that I need to work on is something I'm not sure how to go about. I need some sort of upperbody workout. If anyone has some ideas of a cheap and easily memorable way in which I could do this, please let me know.

3 comments:

mandieworld said...

Good for you!! That's great! !5 to 20 miles is huge for just getting back into the swing of things. I hope you can do it. If you want I can scan some pics of upper boy exercises. Also Laura S. is teaching a dance aerobics class at body works for (I think) 4.50 a class. I think I might go this week if you want to join me. I know a of the other girls from SL are going to.

faith wings said...

It's been kinda hard, my legs are rather tired now (I've done 15 so far today), but I know that if I keep up, 15 to 20 will be a breeze (I remember I used to ride that workout bike for hours, just because I was bored and reading a book). The class sounds great, but I really don't have any money to spare at the moment...

faith wings said...

Well, Beppy, for the fact that I'm job hunting, most of my days are "free" (except when I have church, which is monday evenings, wednesday evenings, some friday evenings, and sundays) I'd love to get together some time, it seems like a haven't seen you in forever.