March 15, 2007

Cancer Update

I thought this time that I'd just let you read the e-mail that my dad sent out to the family...

Hello Everyone,

I had my visit with with Dr. Nambudiri, my oncologist today. I found out that the tumor I had was a stage 3B type 2 cancer. This means, in a nutshell, that it is a moderately aggressive cancer that may have begun to spread in my body. I will definitely will have to undergo chemotherapy since without treatment, there is a 42 percent chance of the cancer returning.

Unfortunately, it is going to be a long course of treatment. I will be taking three to four different medications, some every two weeks and another possible treatment every week One drug needs to be administered over two days every two weeks via a pump attached to my blood stream to a port which will need to be mounted in my chest. I will be having blood tests taken every week to monitor my blood count among other things to make sure I am doing OK. The whole treatment will last at least six months!

The doctor said that people react in various ways to the treatment. I will most likely be able to work in at least some capacity as long as I am not too tired or ill. Obviously, my many visits to the clinic will take one to three days a week, so that in and by itself will keep me from working full time for a while. I will not be physically restricted and the doctor said that I should try to eat well and get as much exercise as I am able to. If my immune system become suppressed, during those times I may have to avoid contact with crowds or people who are sick. This will also be monitored. I also may have trouble with nausea but the doctor said that they have good medications now that control it.

He also talked to us about a new treatment just becoming available that involves using antibodies to help fight cancer cells. This treatment has been successfully used in fighting advanced cancer and studies are now under way to determine how effective this is in fighting my type of cancer. Side effects of the treatment are mild and few. If I took part in the study, I would have a 50 percent chance of getting the antibodies and 50 percent chance without. In both cases, I would get all of the traditional and proven medications. Since the traditional treatment is not 100 percent effective, I think that I will take part in the study since it sounds like it could be very effective with little risk, but I will find more information about it before I sign up.

Tomorrow I have an appointment to have x-rays of my chest and a CAT scan of the rest of me to determine if any tumors have appeared elsewhere. Next Thursday I will talk to Dr Nambudiri to discuss the results of the tests and when chemo will begin. Let's hope that another tumor has not formed. Later, I have an appointment with the surgeon to talk about what is involved with installing a port in my chest. That will most likely occur the following week. I don't yet know for sure, but chemo will probably begin the first or second week in April. There is definitely a lot of stuff to sink in!

Anyhow, I am feeling pretty good physically right now and have been walking quite a bit. There now is very little discomfort left from the surgery, so that is good! I think that I am in good spirits and I try to laugh a lot to keep the demons away. :-D

Again, thank you all so very much for your prayers and kind thoughts.

Bob

4 comments:

Karla said...

Crazy! How tough to go through all that?

Anonymous said...

That's some heavy stuff- for sure prayer is in order!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you're still on the old job hunt, but Parkside is hiring kitchen staff (I saw it on their billboard last Wednesday when I was there).
Good luck and God bless!

A said...

hey li'l blogger. don't give up on it yet! you can do it!