June 20, 2006

...and they named him Harley

so, on saturday I was relaxing in my room, when suddenly my step-dad runs into the house calling for us to come see something. My mom and I go out, and we find a baby raccoon in our woodpile. So my mom gives him some bread and such, and we sit and wait for him to come out (because we have nothing better to do or something). Finally he comes out, eats the bread, and starts waddling on down the driveway. It is then that we notice that he isn't walking very steadily (he kept tipping over and having to steady himself). So my mom decided that we have to catch him. She goes over and tries to pick him up (he can't walk all that fast), but he almost bites her. Then she tells me that I should pick him up. yeah... right. Then she goes to get a towel to grab him with, telling me to keep him from running away. He hisses at me, and backs himself into the brush pile at the bottom of the driveway. Mom comes back out, and is mad at me for letting him get into the pile (what was I supposed to do?) and so we put out more bread and see if he'll come out again. After a while my step-dad comes up with him leather work gloves on, and we start dismantling the brush pile (very very carefully of course). Finally he (my step-dad) was able to grab him. We put him into a large old dog cage that we had from way back when we actually had a dog. We gave him a nice little box to hide in, and some water, and food and all that. My mom says that were just going to keep him until he gets bigger (I'm not sure exactly what she means by that) and then let him go. He is sooo adorably cute. I'll have to see if I can post a pic of him.....

2 comments:

Stuen said...

my mom used to have a pet racoon when she was younger... i think he did pretty well as a pet until one of the dogs killed it or something like that.

faith wings said...

I actually have the book (Rascal). We have finally released our lovely friend, as he has gotten nice and big and healthy on cat food and the occasional minnow. I do hope that I see him again some time though...