August 29, 2006

The Engagement Ring

I don’t know if all of you know this, but I have been engaged before. It was shortly before I started going to our church. If you want the full story of what happened, you’ll have to ask me sometime, or maybe I’ll blog about it later, but right now I just want to share something very important that God has shown me through the ring I used to wear. It was a lovely ring, with three diamonds in it, one larger one in the middle, and two smaller ones on either side, and then very small ones along the band. On the sides there was a little pattern. It had little loops going from one side if the big stone to the far side of the opposite stone. Now, strangely enough, that ring has more meaning to me now then it ever did when I was engaged, even though I don’t think I will ever see it again. The stones and the loops represent things to me. The small stones are symbols of a man and a woman. The large stone is God. The loops symbolize how God is connected to each person, and only by God can you be bound together. The big stone being in the middle says that God is always to be most important, in the center of the marriage. I didn’t have that attitude when I was engaged. I trusted the man more then God, put the man before God, and God showed me (quite painfully) that that just will not work. God is the only one worthy of being the center of our lives, the only one. I pray that I never forget that again.

3 comments:

Laura said...

thanks for sharing that- it's encouraging to hear what God taught you about that-
Lo

Karla said...

woah, that's deep.

Danielle said...

That's so cool Heidi..a lovely and perfect thought at just the right time...